Sunday, December 27, 2009

Poem - A Lady's Adieu to Her Tea-Table



A Lady's Adieu to Her Tea-Table


FAREWELL the Tea-board with your gaudy attire,

Ye cups and ye saucers that I did admire;

To my cream pot and tongs I now bid adieu;

That pleasure's all fled that I once found in you.

Farewell pretty chest that so lately did shine

With hyson and congo and best double fine.

Many a sweet moment by you I have sat,

Hearing girls and old maids to tattle and chat;

And the spruce coxcomb laugh at nothing at all,

Only some silly work that might happen to fall.

No more shall my teapot so generous be

In filling the cups with this pernicious tea,

For I'll fill it with water and drink out the same,

Before I'll lose LIBERTY that dearest name,

Because I am taught (and believe it is fact)

That our ruin is aimed at in the late act,

Of imposing a duty on all foreign Teas,

Which detestable stuff we can quit when we please.

LIBERTY'S The Goddess that I do adore,

And I'll maintain her right until my last hour,

Before she shall part I will die in the cause,

For I'll never be govern'd by tyranny's laws.
--published just before the American Revolution

No comments:

Post a Comment